Digital Sweden started on November 1, 2017!
Digital Sweden is gathering the Swedish ICT sector to more efficiently influence the research and innovation agendas in Europe and the associated calls of Horizon 2020 and of ”FP9”, the next framework programme of the European Commission (EC). The needs and interests of the Swedish ICT industry should influence the relevant European organisations at the basis of the EC’s R&D&I programmes, the European Technology Platforms (ETPs) and Public Private Partnerships (PPPs). Better designed calls will attract more Swedish actors, especially from industry.
Vinnova is financing Digital Sweden as a continuation of previous so-called “Advocacy Platforms” in several separate and initially uncoordinated areas related to ICT. It has been very much thanks to Vinnova themselves and the advocacy platform for ECS led by the present director of PhotonicSweden, and his colleagues but especially P-E Martinsson from FindIT in Sandviken, if the idea of joining the efforts in one single advocacy platform for ICT can now get the start signal. The coordinator of Digital Sweden is Martinsson and he will work about 70% in the begnning.
Sweden is a little country and cannot really afford to have a detuned representation in most European ETPs and PPPs. Advocacy in Brussels takes time to build up and requires the establishment of networks based on trust and confidence. Digital Sweden will continue to develop such long-term and coordinated networks based on a number of already established key actors but will also fill some holes.
The main goals of Digital Sweden are:
- To streamline the Swedish influence on EU’s ICT work programmes.
- Highlight and promote the Swedish ICT both nationally and internationally.
- Stimulate an increased cooperation (for advocacy) between ICT areas in Sweden.
- Support and stimulate the Swedish participation in international RDI programmes, primarily within ICT.
The actors behind Digital Sweden are the Strategic Innovation Programmes (SIP) related to ICT and their partners:
- Smartare elektroniksystem, SES, in English Electronics Components and Systems (ECS). PhotonicSweden is part of ECS and will have excellent opportunity to participate.
- Process Industrial IT and Automation, PiiA.
- Produktion 2030.
- Sakernas Internet, IoT Sverige (Internet of Things Sweden).
- Big Data, BD (not quite a SIP, see e.g. https://www.sics.se/projects/big-data-analytics)
- Smart Built Environment (Supportive).